Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Small Town USA

What a happening sort of day here at Cranford-on-Sea. We have the constant bustle of people ferrying Mary's goods from next door, teetering piles of boxes piled all along the deck, then Mary came in to say there was a runaway dog in the garden - Buckley, Tom's dog. When I went after him he developed that little skip in the step and backward glance that told me I was going to have trouble, so I followed him into the marina just as Janey pulled up in her car and screeched,"CATCH THE DOG!!" Eventually I managed when he ran onto the gangway to one of the docks, but he looked so sad and stubborn, wouldn't get into the car, that I told Janey I would walk him since that was obviously what he wants - Tom has been bedridden for three weeks, on a bender. So off we set, all round the marina right to the very end at the lowest tide I have seen in a while - saw a fisherman catch a great big fish, Buckley found a great many good smells and was a gentle and happy companion, ran when I ran, stepped carefully over his leash when it got tangled and never tugged. When we got home I gave him a bath since he was filthy and matted: he is so fat I had trouble lifting him. He loved being brushed too, up to a point, and by the time I finished he was fluffy and gleaming. He is some kind of terrier with a coarse reddish coat - Norfolk? - but a lovely face very like my darling Clancy. If Tom drops off his perch I'd volunteer, and walk him every day so he got a waist back, and brush him til he shone. the dog that is.

So, I was draped happily on the deck under my favourite umbrella when Mary called with a cat emergency this time - both her cats had freaked at the move and were stuck inside her ornamental pottery elephant plant stand, could I come over with a hammer?
Born for it.
I whacked the trunk with a soft mallet and saw Lulu's head in the birth position, Lyle right behind. A bit of pushing got them both out, crazed and dehydrated, and they ran. I sat and stroked Lulu til she calmed down, but when I picked her up she slashed my hands, arm and neck so I look as if I have been attacked by a vampire. Lyle was much easier but in worse condition.

My chaise on the deck was very alluring by this time, but Dee had rung in the middle of this - she has found a house. So Stefan and I crammed into her bug and went to see the sweetest, smallest house nestled in trees in the very best district of San Rafael. She has to have it. We walked right round it, peered into the windows, solemnly inspected the shed, back to the car and it was locked with the keys inside.

So... we went off for my third long walk of the day, first to Zany and Kevin's house but no-one was home, so we left Stefan on the front porch and Dee and I walked to George and Cissy's office, and by the time we got back to the car the LockShock man was there. Picked up Stefan, introduced Dee and Kevin which is fortuitous as Kevin camps regularly on Angel Island, and rolled on home.

I could live like this every day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home