Friday, July 11, 2008

Obi Wan


I think I can say with some certainty that I shall be spending today in bed.

That wasn't the master plan at all, as all week I have been inching like Little Red Hen towards my goal: not the perfect loaf of bread, but the making of two glorious white linen sofa covers. First I ordered it, then it arrived, then I measured it, then I edged and halved it, then I pre-shrank it, then I dried it (in 100 degree heat, even a ten yard wodge dried in an afternoon).

This may not sound like much of an achievement for a week but we have also been working, which has involved a lot of charging about in fields with equipment.

So, today, a free day except for the dentist at four, was to be cutting out day. However we have a sudden cold front which has caught the weather people completely off guard (do they know anything?), and all night long I lay listening to my fine new Kenopi flapping in a stiff wind, wondering if it could pull the poles clear out of their mooring to smash into whatever in their path was frail. It is unwise to leave even an umbrella outside when these winds spring up, and my beloved new hostage to fortune is 8x10.

White linen is perfectly practical by the way. I made white cotton damask slip-covers for Judith specifically to cope with the odd chocolate biscuit/grandson combination. And the natural hemp covers for Norma when she was selling her house. I think I would have preferred the hemp but got a deal on the linen, and I'm content.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home