Saturday, February 03, 2007

The Dilemma

We had a wonderful time last night at the Wildcare Ball, a table of congenial people, and the table settings (heaven knows I pay little attention to such) were so beautiful I was quite stunned. I like being stunned. I want to be stunned more often. We even danced.

This morning upon impulse I cleaned the stove, bin and various bits, lamenting the state of my housekeeping all the while, and admiring those who still entertain. I haven't had guests for a long time, and mainly because I go weak at the thought of the work it entails. Maybe if I had a cleaner it would be different, in fact I think it would be very different. Maybe if I hardened my heart against judgement, became a more jolly, open person, I would have wonderful dinner parties again. As it is - it just seems like a lot of work.

"Clean the house- they will come."

So I cleared the kitchen and the big room completely except for the long table, then swept, mopped and polished, and did the same in the bathroom and hall and it all smells beautifully of geraniums, since I have expensive eco-friendly Mrs Meyers' cleaner which I love for the smell alone. I think that is the very best sort of extravagance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home