Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Hangchow

After a long drought I have found a book which opens worlds before me, so delightful that I ration myself. It is an account of daily life in China in the capital of the Southern Sung dynasty in the thirteenth century before the Mongol invasion in 1276, almost excessively well documented and with a modern feel, not at all like medieval records of Europe. I should be able to stretch it out until September. Jacques Gernet is the author.

I am still snailing my way through the Greek Myths, onto the second volume now, myth by myth. This is more in the nature of challenge, not pleasure. What a bloodthirsty lot. It is very different seeing the familiar stories in context. Very third chakra.

I might have bitten off more than I can chew with this new bathroom, I am finding the thought of all the insulation and studwork oppressive, but a quote for professional insulation came in at $4500. I can put up with a lot of fibreglass prickles for that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home